Outdoor Patio Decks are a great way to increase the value of your home.
For those looking to upgrade their home, there are a number of ways to make it more functional year-round. Adding a beautiful outdoor deck is one of the most popular additions, working to provide a great place for hosting events with friends and spending family time outside. Decks can be completed in as little as a week’s time, making it easy to live within the home without all of the noise and disturbance that can normally last months on end for other home projects.
There are a number of great benefits associated with adding a new deck:
- A perfect place to host visitors during the spring, summer and fall months.
- Perhaps one of the best benefits of a deck is how it naturally increases the home’s value.
- Adding a deck adds a high amount of design to any home, making it more visually appealing and enhancing the home’s overall quality.
- Decks cost significantly less than other home additions, making them a great option for those on a budget.
- Adding a deck to your property will provide extra room to store a barbecue, patio furniture, and even potted plants.
Different types of decking are available:
- Treated Lumber
Treated Lumber such as YellaWood® that has been treated is structurally superior and resistant to decay and termites. Pressure treatment allows protective ingredients to penetrate deeply into the heart of the wood. Treated pine is a popular material because it is the least expensive while maintaining a decent appearance.
Cedarwood is a good choice for the construction of outdoor decks and stairs. Cedar naturally resists decay, is light in weight, easy to work with, and fits the majority of architectural styles. Cedar holds up well in constant exposure to the sun, though if not stained every 2-3 years, it will begin to gray. However, it is less prone to cracking and splintering like treated pine decks.
Made by combining cedar wood fiber and recycled material, composite decks are appreciated for their appearance and low maintenance. A composite material is more resistant to moisture and less prone to bending and warping. A composite deck is very durable, is as easy to install and looks very similar to regular wood, but requires minimal maintenance. Composite is becoming a popular material choice because of its low maintenance requirements; however, it is more expensive than other materials.